View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

I've put just about all my CD's into iTunes and my iPod. I have playlists for all the tunes I'm learning for about 3 or 4 different ensembles and sometimes I just put it on shuffle and take what I get. I have a whole bunch of Mingus in the there, Miles Davis (huge amount of Miles), Coltrane (most but more would be better), Oliver Nelson, Art Blakey, Thelonius Monk, Dave Brubek, Astrud Gilberto, Jobim, Getz, Astor Piazolla, Duke Ellington, Wayne Shorter, Weather Report, Sonny Rollins, Mahavishnu, Beatles, Zombies, Yardbirds, Television, Tom Waits, Yusef Lateef, Frank Zappa, Archie Shepp, Talking Heads, Deep Purple. UnCommon Ritual is in there as well as Edgar's Bottesini Concerto with Yo Yo Ma, and Oregon From the Wood and Bromberg Wood. Paul Warburton Quartet and **** Hindman trio (with Paul). Live Dead (Grateful Dead), Hendrix Electric Lady Land. Blue Oyster Cult. Black Sabbath's first 4 albums (really good stuff) Primus (which I am tempted to delete). And then there is Paul Chambers Boxed Set from Mosaic.

Here's some stuff that's in there that almost nobody here would have heard of but me: White Witch, Adam's Township, Jake Sharp, Squat, Dan Baraszu, Trey Wright, Kodac Harrison, Pillowtexans, Sugar Kayne, Kevin Spears, Cadillac Jones, Enter the Haggis, Art Vandalay, Pass a Fire, and far too much to list here.

Then there are my own bands and ensembles: 12+ Scapeweavel CD's, Carousel 5, 5th Sundays, DROP. Free Translation.

What bugs me is all my really good classical and rock and roll is mostly on vinyl and I haven't converted that to digital yet so I have to get my classical fix from the radio right now because I loaned out my turntable several years ago. And I have 8 gigabytes of WREK's All Jazz show that I downloaded as 128 kbps MP3's from their web server, with playlists. I think I might start downloading their classical show too.

The stuff I'm putting in there now is just about anything Rudy Van Gelder is re-mastering. It's all just killer Jazz recordings and I have a whole lot of that in there.