View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Phelps View Post
You keeping this one ken? What's it sound like?
It sounds like a great bass made 60 years ago that needs to be played. It has some Pirastro Permanent strings that usually sound bright but sound great on this bass. It is loud, clear, deep and I feel it vibrating when I play it. I think it's a bass i can use. I just finished a basic set-up to test it but it still needs a few things to meet my personal requirements if I am to keep it for awhile to use.

I have several basses that I like and use so this one although nice and a rare pedigree, is just one that is joining the family of basses already in my racks.

This is the first time I have seen a bass from just north of Vienna with a round back and violin corners. This is more of an Italian Strad copy than anything from the German school. Most German basses in the last 100 years like this have outer linings as well. This one was made with a lot of thought. By the way, Vienna is closer to Brno than Philly is to NY so it should follow more the style of the Viennese I would think. I can only speculate that his working in Germany influenced his ideas as much as his study of Italian violins. The Scroll however looks typical western Bohemian/Saxon as do the Gears which look slightly modified from the norm.

I will probably bring this up to Arnold's shop sometime in the near future and see what he makes of it all.