View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Phelps View Post
How does it play now? What's the lower clamp on the extension? D natural?
It plays great. I had Passione's on the bass when I left it at the shop so I sent Arnold an old Eudoxa flat-chrome string for the extension. Today, I changed the strings, put Belcanto's on with a Flex.92-stark E/C. In doing so, I tweaked the Nut a bit to my liking and now it's ready to play.

The middle Capo is a D. The fingerboard was slightly thin when I got the bass and was a bit too flat. The board was dressed a bit and now plays even better than before. Due to the combination of the scroll/pegbox shape, the neck-graft angle between the neck and pegbox and the slightly thin fingerboard, the bracket for the Eb capo would not fit without cutting slightly into the cheek of the pegbox. So, I opted for just a plain E-capo extension. Then, Arnold suggested a D-capo and I agreed. I have played many parts that go down to D and C. Only on occasion have I had to lock the Db capo. The Eb capo is handy to have as well but close enough to the nut to finger as well.

I have owned 2 basses with just an E-capo in the past. One a few years back and one in the early '70s. This E/D/C Extension is the first like it I have had. I think it will work just fine. The season starts up in January right after the holidays and I will bring it to rehearsals as needed and give it my normal on-the-job test. I am sure it will work well.