View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Posting Member

Adam Linz is on a distinguished road

Hey Thomas. I recently put new plates and tuners on my bass and I did a lot of research to see what I could find. I found that Rubners look like the best but had a hard time trying to get what I wanted. After trying to email Rubner directly in Germany I kinda gave up on those. Then it was onto Gallery Strings in London. Their web site makes you believe that they carry about a dozen or so different models, but at the end of the day I was told that they only make their Baker model which is a shame because all of the other models were killin. they were all pretty expensive as well. So after much debate I went with a set of Busans from Kolstein. They were not the easiest to install but if you have a good luthier with some patience they are a good quality for the money. I'm very happy with them and they compliment the plates I had made.
I spent almost $1200 on tuners, plates, and labor but I think they will last for a long time. My bass is a violin shaped Andreas Morelli. Some people thought it was a lot of money to spend on a middle ground bass but I think you should always get what you want when it comes to your bass and it's health. Since I've put my tuners on I've seen some amazing custom gears on several hand made basses. I wish I had an arsenal of basses to put them on. Besides performing well they add something to an instrument that is hard to describe. A personality. Anyways, best of luck in your search . Adam Linz