View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Also, new basses do not speak as clear on the bottom as older more seasoned instruments do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Evidence? Or just opinion?
Well, let me put this in better words then.

In my opinion, most new basses do not sound as well as they can as they will when they get old.

I have seen most new basses improve in tone and depth as they mature. Better made basses out of the 'shoot' are good on day one. On year 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 or 30, they are even better if maintained and played.

Older basses that are restored and have new wood in them mature and sound better than off the bench within 1-3 years. If rescued from older bad repair work, they can sound better straight off the bench. Still in that case, they will be even better after a few years when all of the repairs have 'gelled-in' with the older parts of the bass living as one.

I would have to say Arnold that my comment is part un-clear, part opinion and part experience.

If I didn't believe in the possibility of new Basses, I wouldn't have ordered one!

But hey, I have more experience with older basses and sometimes these sound best just before they are about to fall apart. That's where you come in... lol .. Heelllppppp