View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

So I take it this is the first you've heard of Boston Catlines, Ken? I think the name is a play on the ancient Italian name, and since the market is mostly period use on period reproduction instruments, the name is serious, if not reflective of the materials used now or then. You can reach Olav Chris Henriksen of Boston Catlines by e-mail at Calines@aol.com. It seems from my communications that he prefers to take custom orders over the telephone (I know;- that technology is ancient).

I was told his strings were the very very best available by a local Renaissance / Baroque instrument lutenist. I think I'll order a D/G plain gut pair and see what these are like since this supplier is obviously not too well known. And as always, I appreciate your informed precautions. Dlugolecki makes a wound string for violones in 80 gauge that is intended as a D string (baroque tuning) for 95-105 cm mensur. At 110 cm., same tension, that is a C string, which puts it only a half-step up from the low B. And then when you invoke modern A=440, it is even closer. So it might be a little loose, but a shade larger would be right on target, perhaps an 83 gauge?

I don't yet know of any plain gut strings that would come close to the low B at reasonable tension.

When I look at the attendant difficulties associated with 5 strings, I also look at historical violones with 6 strings (lowest tuning DD) and wonder how the increased difficulties were dealt with in those times. Perhaps it is in the way hair tension is achieved with the baroque style bows? Being able to vary the tension on the fly might be the answer. When is Katie Long going to pop in and enlighten us????

I do still have my old 4-stringer and maybe that would be the place to start, but I really want the low notes and the configuration/mensur I'm used to. Definitely a second DB is the answer. I need a spare 5-er anyway.

I do think the Catgut Society is called something else now, but we are getting off topic there. When I get a couple of the Boston Catline strings and bow on them, I'll check back in and report. I'll see what Olav thinks about the BB possibilities.

Last edited by David Powell; 06-05-2008 at 01:28 PM.