View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb n lieu of purfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
The "hollow key" tuner sure do look like they're gonna snap off the next time you bonk one. I dig the faux "plate" carving on the scroll a lot. That looks like fun . . . The extra carving on the ear of the scroll, OK, fun too . . . The ornate body carving in lieu of purfling has always struck me as over-the-top. It also seems to lack the benefits up purfling, i.e. a stop-point for edge-chips. Obviously we treat masterwork instruments with the utmost respect and do our utmost never to cause harm. Unfortunately, there are other people in the world -- and on the road -- and on the bandstand -- who might not rise to that standard.
First off Sam, this Bass IS totally Purfled Top and Back just above the carvings into the curve of the edge in a masterful way. The inner edge of Purfling modulates into the outer edge of the carving. This work is beautifully done but in a subtle way.

Look closer in these Pics;

The sharp fine black lines that look like paint around the wood colored center is actually inlaid purfling, not paint. This Bass is built to the end.

The Tuner handles are sturdier than the thin flat club-shaped handles seen on 90% of the German plate gears of the 20th century. No Bass should get banged around, period.