View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Burik View Post
The bass is a "heavy" bass, evidently made with more more wood than other "lighter" basses. My bass shop expert says this is what contributes to the more focused, growly, mid-range tone of the instrument-very percussive and forward sounding.
In my limited experience:

a) Most of the time a string instrument which is "lightly" built will be louder than an "identical" instrument which is "heavily" built.

This is a rough rule of thumb, not The Law Of Gravity. There are plenty of exceptions based on factors including the intrinsic rigidity/density/tensile properties of particular pieces of wood, how the instrument is set up and strung, and how is instrument is built and shaped. That's why it is so important to actually play the actual basses you are considering whenever possible.

b) "Growl" is a function of how the fingerboard is planed, what the strings are, string height, and above all THE PLAYER. Again, that's why it is so important to actually play the actual basses you are considering whenever possible.

In short, although I would often disagree with what your salesman is saying I have no way to know whether s/he is right or wrong about this particular bass.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting!