View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Posting Member

Adrian Juras is on a distinguished road
Default My "new" Tyrolean/German bass:

I have recently aquired this German/Tyrolean bass from a friend. The bass is one of the best sounding basses I have yet had my hands on. Notes just seem to jump out of it, with a thickness to them that I haven't experienced from many basses. It also plays like butter, making Spirocores sound dark almost out of the package. I took some time deciding on the bass due to its condition. The price was definitely favorable, but the top has quite a bit of sinkage in the lower bass bar area. It looks like the bar was replaced at some time. However, the top has been stable for the last 7 years that I have known the bass. I made the decision based on the fact that if I put the money into a full restoration later the cost would still be reasonable to me based on how wonderful the bass sounds/responds. I am not sure as to the origin/age of the bass. It does not appear that it was ever blockless, but the shape does resemble many Tyrolean instruments that I have seen. Here are some pictures that I have taken:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyrol8.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1456  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyrol3.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1457  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyrol4.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1458  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyrol2.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1459  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyrol9.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1460  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyrol5.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1461  

Last edited by Adrian Juras; 02-17-2010 at 11:32 AM.