View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road
Question Bowing guidelines (reprise)

HI Kurt, Ken, and anyone else who wants to chime in-

I asked this question of Patrick Neher over on the other side of the tracks. I'm really curious to get more input. (just to clarify - by "bowings" I really mean the bow direction, and timing the change of directions)

My question is this: where does one go to find a systematic method for bowing orchestral pieces?

I know that there are always several ways to bow any passage, and as a German player (bow, not nationality) I've noticed my French section mates seem to prefer different bowings, and some players seem to prefer "splitting" long legato phrases into more bow changes. Often, I've found I'm chasing the bows of the player on the next stand (we don't share stands, luckily), and suspect that he's trying to do the same. Result: four bassists, four different bowings

I'm asking this question as someone who came to classical playing a little later in life - I've only been able to play with student and amateur sections thus far, so I've never had the experience of being able to play with a "unified" section that "breathes" together.

Basically, I'd like to find some guidelines or a system that can help me to practice bowings that make musical sense, and to have the flexibility to play with the more experienced or professional sections when the time arises.

Along the same lines, how do professional sections handle their bowings? Is the Principal expected to mark up everyone's part, is it done during sectionals, or is everyone expected to keep their eyes and ears open to follow the leader?

Thanks!