View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road
Default plays great

Yeah, the scroll is much smaller and those are bass guitar tuners.

Played the bass at several gigs this past weekend and it performed like a champ. Plays really evenly and amplifies well w/ a big warm and punchy sound. Got a lot of compliments on the tone and no one noticed the smaller scroll unless I pointed it out. The carved top makes the bass pretty darn responsive and the arco sound was really quite sweet especially in the mid-upper register. Pizz sound sits really well in the mix w/ a surprising big bottom on the E. I'm finding the 41" string length really fun. W/ Spiro Mitts the tuning stability was excellent. When carting around town in it's assembled config. it's super light weight is also a plus. This thing is definitely a winner.

I'm gonna practice taking it apart and assembling and adjust neck angle/ string height w/ the maple shims Arnold gave me for this purpose.

BTW-unlike the Lemur or any other RN bass that I've seen the "Time Zone" neck joint has no screws of any kind and simply slides into place and does not require any tools to adjust (or lose). Solid as a rock w/ string tension. No sticky Post Its marking the bridge position. Arnold just put two very small, shallow and discreet holes (from a tack) on the top to mark where the upper, inner bridge feet corners go. All I needed to line up the bridge perfectly.

The sound post? When breaking the bass down for travel the sound post stays in place by putting a belt around the waist (C bouts) and cinching it tight over a small cork lined, dense styrofoam pad that is placed over the SP area of the top. The pressure applied to the top in this way holds the post in place so strings can be loosened when removing neck, strings and tailpiece.

Flight case arrives tomorrow. I'm leaving for Fiji w/ it on Sat. for a month long tour of S. Asia. Will try to post pics of the whole system soon.

Arnold & I A/B ed the K&K Bass Max in the wing slot vs. an old style Realist both thru a Headway pre into Arnold's old Gallien Kruger combo in his shop. They both sounded great, IMO. Arnold liked the Realist a bit better. I can get excellent tone w/ either thru my AI Focus and Wizzy M 12 or 10.