View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 2 or 3 string?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Bichoff View Post
Hi Ken and friends!

Ken, your basses are one of the finest things in the world. Building 5-string, 6-string and 7-string basses with stability and robustness certainly isn't an easy task for any builder, and among them you are not a follower but a leader, as you say.
My question: have you ever tried before with less strings, let's say 3-string or even 2-strings basses? (I've already seen some before and they are tuned by 5ths, and not by 4ths a regular bass... well, you can tune the way you want, but...).
Was there any idea that you decided to abandon because it was too 'weird'?(like this one)

(I still keep my typewriter too and I think you should do the same. We never know when anybody will come with a 'USB to Old Typewriter' stuff. Maybe Mike? He's the computer geek here, isn't he? In the mean time, I keep mine oiled and ready! )

Thanks,
In the history of the Double Bass, 3-string was quite common around the world from the 17th - 19th centuries before the 4-string slowly became the standard in the early 20th century. It went to 4-string for a reason. They needed the notes. Playing in 5ths was also tried, and then abandoned. There are a few that play in 5ths now but the normal is 4-string in 4ths. It is hard enough to play as it is now so I don't plan on making any bass with less than 4-strings and tuned in 4ths. I am a player first and I design from experience, not bad dreams..