View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb History of the American Bass (8)

Dates & Prices..
Prescott prices for the first 15 Basses from 1809 thru 1819 were $10.- $17. Who knows why the difference in Price! These must have been Church Basses and #11 of the first 15 was sold in 1818 and again in 1820. So it seems that he also took trade-ins on his own Church Basses. #3 of 1811 was bought back and sold again in 1824 for $17. the first time and $18. the second time. While the lower priced sales were under $20. The first one (Double Bass?) at $23., #16 was made and sold in April of 1820. Was this the first DoubleBass? Also, it was sold to 'Smith Batchelder'! What? I am Smith and I own a Batchelder Bass. Is this Fate or the 'TwiLight Zone'. This MUST be my calling. When MY Prescott is finished in restoration, FATE tells me I am done buying and playing other Basses. Seeing **Smith Batchelder in his record books sends CHILLS up my Spine!

** A Batchelder bass now owned by me, Ken Smith; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/double...der/index.html

In June of 1820 #18 is sold for $28. while $14. and $16. instruments are still being sold presumeably Church Basses. #55 was made march 1825 and sold in July for $50. It was bought back in october and sold for $52. He first wrote $50 and changed the '0' to a '2' as if he forgot to make a profit... The first buyer bought another Bass in Oct 1825 as well and he paid $57.50 this time. I guess he used the first Bass trade-in to pay for most and only made up the difference after Prescott sold his Bass.

My Prescott was cut down possible by Prescott because of the construction b4 the cut and at the re-build both times having the Ribs set in channels in the Top and Back. I am sure he cut down several of his Basses and helped owners trade up or dispose of Basses as needed.

In the 147 instruments made thru early 1829, there are records of 6 being bought back and sold again, #s 3,11,23, 28, 50 (sold first to the name Dearborn), and 55. The ones with lower prices I assume to be Church Basses.

Well, we need to see a 'confirmed' Tewkesbury. I mentioned Ira and Asa White and have seen a small 5/8 size Bass by them in NY. Benjamin Willard is reported to have trained Prescott but haven't seen his Double Basses but did see one I suspect. Baker of Boston I think was spotted somewhere.. and I am sure if I sit down with my American Violin Makers book, I can dig up a few more names BUT, seeing is believing.. and much much more fun..