View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb update..

Recently, I sent a link of this webpage to a top Italian Master in Italy who had done a story on Bartolomeo Cristofori who was the keeper of instruments in the court of Prince Ferdinand de Medici of Florence along with his too apprentices. One was a Harpsichord maker and the other a Luthier, Pietro Antonio Malvolti who took over Cristofori's role after his death in 1732. In answer to my question of this well preserved Bass being the actual work of Malvolti he replied "Complimenti per il suo strumento certamente toscano e possibile Malvolti. Molto bello, cordialmente (and his name). Roughly translated, Compliments on the instrument is certainly Tuscany (Florence is the capitol) and possibly Malvolti. Cordially (and signed).

With so little of Malvolti's personal work known to exist, I can only conclude that most of his Lutherie was limited to his time working for and training with Cristofori as Malvolti's known work period is recorded as being from 1700-1733. This only gives him a year after the death of his master. His Violins (only 4 that I have seen reference to) and possibly this Bass were either made at his residence where had his own shop or, using the shop of Cristofori as the dates overlap between his work and his employment.

This Bass has been beautifully preserved over time. Perhaps the broad shoulders account for its condition as even 300 years ago, there were Basses available with sloped shoulders and angle bent upper Backs. The Cello-like shape of this Bass may have helped in its preservation.