View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Sell, trade or keep..

Dealers make a profit when they sell Basses new and used. If it were me, I would give you less than MY wholesale cost for a new one towards a more expensive Bass unless I was making a huge profit on it. Then I could make believe that you can have full retail credit on your Crissy if and when you upgrade.. Yeah, right.. Do you drive a car?..lol

Since you do play gigs and teach Bass as well this Bass is worth more as a second Bass for you on let's say outdoor gigs or less desirable venues that you wouldn't bring your good Bass to as well as a Bass for your students to play when they come for Lessons. Also, you can consider the value of the Bass as a one time insurance premium as each time you take that Bass out, the good one is home safe and sound.

Look, I like making money in business just like the next guy but the reality is that new merchandise is worth less than half what you pay the day after you leave the store. Selling it privately is the other option but being that it is a relatively new Bass and still available not like some 50-300 year old Bass, you will have to take less than the new cost in most cases.

If you must sell or trade the Bass in for monetary reasons, then pick the option that works best for you. I just wanted to point out the reality of things from a dealer viewpoint.

On your Bass, if the Ribs are Plywood then the Back may be as well but I don't know your particular Bass. Many Plywood Basses today though have solid non-ply bent Maple ribs as well.

If you can afford to keep your Bass and also upgrade at the same time then the value of having a back-up is greater than its market price.