Thread: My New German
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road
Default My New German

Since purchasing the Pfretzschner you'll see in an earlier thread in this section, I've been looking for a medium-level upgrade to what I've been using primarly for orchestral work. (The Pfretzschner is a great jazz bass, but I've not found the depth and volume I want when playing in a section.) I've been using a 7/8 Christopher 401F, but it lacks the complexity of tone that I hear in my head, so I've been wanting to get something 'better' for quite awhile now.

I went back to a local bassist who always has a few basses for sale specifically to look at a Jaeger that I had previously declined, mostly because his price had come down. The Jaeger was a nice bass, but then I saw an older gamba with hat-peg tuners and I asked what it was. "Just an old German shop bass - you can try it if you want." This bass was clearly much louder and present than the Jaeger. I left that day without a bass, but thinking about it. Finally last week I went back and took it out on trial for a week, knowing that I'd get to play it in two different sections, once as principal, once in the middle of the section. I also had a chance to record with it (demo only) with my acoustic duo. This German bass sailed through its trials with flying colors.

Long story short, I'm now the owner of this pre-WWII German bass. I'm pretty sure it's at least pre-WWII because of the "Revoiced - 1940 by FE Coulter" label on the inside - pics included.

If anybody here - especially Ken, who has been instrumental in helping me understand This New Bass as a general topic - has any more insights, thoughts, observations, etc. I'd be happy to hear them. I'm also happy to take and/or post more pictures. I don't have dimensions handy, but it's within 1/2" in all dimensions compared to my Pfretzschner.

Looking forward to hearing from any of you.

Brian Casey
Portland, OR

(PS - I may be a little premature in posting this. I still have to pay the guy for this bass, which I'm doing tonight - just about 6 hours from this moment. For all intents and purposes, though, this is my new German bass.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2009 027.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	952  Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2009 035.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	954  Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2009 051.jpg
Views:	567