View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Yumm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Moilanen View Post
My co-principal asked me "Is this bass really SO ITALIAN that it has grown to escape our section sound?". And then I noticed it. I have been playing this bass in section pianissimos very high on the fingerboard. Still it gets its sound through. A bit of shamed I have tried to really play it "ghostlike". Still it produces a huge projective sound. I pulled my bow almost to neck and suddenly it was just plain gold nad fitted in.. So there you have it. The real operational bow factor, from the bridge to far! And this is the time i can honestly say "I can manage, a bit.." with Kens old flame. It is just awesome! I wonder times Ken had it.. Nearly 20 odd years.. WAU!

-M
Funny Story but true..
About umpteen years ago.. (Umpteen means a lot!.. maybe.. late 1970s early 1980s?), I was on a recording session. The 1st Bass was Homer Mensch with his Gagliano. Then was John Beal with his Bergonzi and me with my/your/our Bass then labeled Rivolta (maybe Rivolta cut the shoulders when it was 100 years old already). The end of the piece had several bars rest. Then the last 4 bars the Cellos come in with a tied C----. The Basses come in a bar later for 3 bars with the C as well... to the end. Period. But, I touched the string at 4 bars when the cellos came in, stopped and then played the C from 3-bars and out. I looked over at Homer after the Tape stopped and said (leaning over across over John), "Homer, I came in and just touched the string a bar early at the end but it was with the cellos".. Homer replies, "Yes, I know, I heard it. You better go inside the Control room and tell the Producer that it was YOU!!"..

I went inside and told them. In the playback it sounded fine but I thought that I would never be hired by them again. A few days later I was on another Job for them in the studio for a TV show soundtrack and asked the Arranger about me getting hired after the last mistake I made. He replied, "We listened to all the Basses to make sure it was OK and yours sounded the best in the Mix..

Yes, my mis-labeled Bass was picked over the Bergonzi and Homer's famous Gagliano. That Bass was so sweet, I could never put it down. It was the inspiration for me to start the Smith Bass company because it was so good on every note up and down including the E string up to the bridge without a single wolf, that I went out to develop a matching electric Bass. The Ken Smith Bass. Did I come close? Guys?

Mikko, you have a very special Bass. Tell your section mates that the Bass owns you and not the other way around.