View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool camber..

Excess Camber is the biggest problem with string tension that I see. Pressing down the notes further to reach the fingerboard is no fun than if the board was mostly flat. I prefer a flat board, let the strings pull the neck a little, the camber/board leveled if not as perfect as desired and then raise the bridge height if you need more clearance to the board, not scoop the fingerboard. That also weakens the neck as the ebony laminated to the maple = strength. Shave the ebony and you weaken the neck. Then when you play, the excess vibrations you feel under your fingers makes it feel that much tighter.

Moving the TP up is something I always liked as the TP absorbs more vibration the closer it is to the bridge making it seem softer to play. The raised saddle also helps but now we get into neck thickness, overstand and neck pitch in the block. You can almost go back to zero and re-build the bass from the block to the string to make it the softest as possible. Sometimes trying to fix a bass starting in the middle is difficult as you fight other factors that can't be done without a huge expense.

Strings are the least of my worries on this as I have played with stark 92s on many basses with a stiff straight neck/board with no problem. Then I had Weichs on another two basses with bent necks and big camber. That was like fighting a giant.

Get the neck/board camber fixed or minimized as much as possible and go from there.

Also, I have played 39.5 inches that was tight and 44.5 inches that was loose, same strings. It's not the length or the strings, it's the neck in 99.999% - 110% of the time, in my not so humble opinion!