View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Hart Bass under the Knife!

A few days ago I visited Arnold and saw the Top of my Hart Bass hitting the home stretch. The Top was pressed out from some sinkage but as Arnold explained, some areas were pressed back in. Apparently, when the center is pushed down under the Bridge other area bulge out like a balloon when you squeeze. It took several months to get the Top re-shaped but it least one restorer in London re-graduated the Top if not more than one. The last being done in 1944 as inscribed in the Bass "Repaired and Tone improved by _ _ _". A dangerous statement made by a Maker/Restorer noted by his timeless inscription carved into the inner Back.

From that 'Repair' in 1944 if not others before, the Top was left too thin in a few areas so new Wood had to be added and then once again, re-graduated to meet with the existing old wood. In about a month or so, all the cracks will be studded and edge work completed. (Arnold? You taking pics as usual? I forgot to bring my Camera on Monday.. swy..)

The Ribs on this Bass were completely doubled and it was not really necessary. Around the Block area a separate Rib was grafted meeting the other tow a few inches from the Block making it a 3-pc lower section. This piece needs to be replaced and re-grafted as well. Doubling in this area will most likely be needed but as for the other Ribs, they all need new Linings as they were either missing or completely 'shot'.

The Flat Back of this Bass is about the best I have ever seen wood and condition wise combined!