View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question on the spot here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Ken, to most players' ear the BelCanto strings sound mellower and smoother than the Flexicores. (They also have less tonal dynamic range.) I'm curious why you would use Bels to try to brighten up a bass, when they are typically called upon to darken the sound of a bright instrument. Please write at least four paragraphs explaining this move.
To my ear, the Flexs are smoother sounding under the Bow and the Bels have a metallic overtone to them. As strings get old, both kinds tend to be scratchy under the bow if the string has been over-warn from on and off basses. That is different than a string just aging on one single bass undisturbed by string changes. I hear more color in the sound as well with the Flexs and a flatter tonal pallet with Bels.

Some basses are more sensitive to various strings and my research comes from these types of basses. If a bass itself is duller and takes most any string the same way, then it is hard to tell what the string is doing.

I think walnut is brighter sounding than maple where most hear with their eyes based on color.

No Mushrooms or Bamboo shoots please!