View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

I brought the Storioni last night as I mentioned I was considering. Friday night rehearsals are always a bit hectic with people rushing thru traffic to get there on time so running across the stage the last minute and often thru the bass section is something I don't like while I'm playing or if my bass is lying down or on a chair. That's the main reason I didn't bring the Storioni on Friday.

While I was warming up last night my stand partner was about 100 feel behind me off stage trying to tune his bass with a Tuner. He has a nice '80s full sized Pollmann (Maggini/Panormo/Fendt model) with round back and sounds quite good. He told me later when we were packing up in the end that while he was trying to tune, my bass was registering on his tuner, every note I was playing. He also mentioned with a smile that I was in tune as well. Wow, what a relief.. lol

So, the bass is loud but carries thru the house as well. After the Gershwin with Piano and Orchestra the soloist did a bit more on his own and then announced me and invited me up. We did 'The Preacher' with a Piano intro and chorus solo and then I came in, no amp and, I had lowered my strings slightly from Orchestra set up in case he puts me on the spot to solo. He did, and I played two choruses, never struggling to get the sound out as I was confident I was being heard. The audience loved that Duo more then most of the program from what I had heard back.

For the 2nd half I raised the bridge back up a 1/4 turn and finished up the concert. My stand partner mentioned how loud my bass was and regardless of being to the right of me, can hear my bass over his which made him dig in a bit more where needed.

So, the Storioni is sounding better by the day after massive surgery and unlike a few people were concerned about, it didn't loose its 'golden' sound. In fact, it rings more than even from what I remember. Thanks Arnold, job well done!