Thread: French backs
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation ?? no no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Levi View Post
I read this on page 14 of this paper pdf on a study of round vs flat backs , there is a chart on page 14 that goes through the centuries of back design ..

http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/Forschung/pdf_d...ssertation.pdf
There is a chart at the bottom of page 3. They say that in France they made Round Backs after 1800 and on. This is NOT True at all. Like I said, they made more Flat than round from what I have seen. For quality I agree that round was preferred but look at all The Flat Back basses by Barbe, Gand, the Jacquet family, Claudot and Lamy as well as other makers. Predominantly Flat Backs were made from cost. Also, in the article someone in Germany I think stated it was easier to make a roundback than a Flat due to the braces. This maybe be true with mass produced factory basses but by hand, the Round back is MUCH more work.

Like many other articles, once written people believe them to be true. The false information might just be a mistake on the writers part of something self serving to pre-date a Flatback bass for more profit. Totally untrue in regards to the Flatback bass unless they are just referring to preference for quality in make.