View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Miller View Post
Here is my bass... and me... apologies for me diluting the photos :P

I bought this bass a few months ago.. absolutely love the sound. It's a thunderous beast which nearly caused me being evicted!

I'm at work at present and hope to snap off some better shots later to update the post with, but this is what I've got now.
You may have seen this bass on talkbass a while back.
I'm pretty sure it's a Hofner now, I just want confirmation/ as much information on the workmanship and opinion/ ballpark value of these basses (of course it won't change my opinion of my bass)
I bought it off a retired jazz/concert bassist... the thing has been shall we say well gigged, but all wear is just aesthetic. No cracks that haven't been fixed..although there's some light warping causing one F hole to curl out slightly. Nothing horrendous though.

Also, looking at emailing hofner, they no longer answer inquiries on older string instruments... which makes my investigation a tad more challenging.

thanks in advance for any responses!

Simon
It looks like it might be a Hofner. The other three shops that I know of in that region during the same period were Wilfer, Lang and Framus. All made similar basses I think. It is not exactly like my bass in the purfling and FFs but it's close. This is a violin corner model and mine is a Gamba so that is a huge difference in how they would shape the body overall. It is German, post WWII. East or West I can't say 100% for sure but it does look closer to Hofner than any of the other shops. You can also ask Steve Swan who is a member here and has a bass shop in Northern California and sells Hofner basses. Maybe he knows for sure but I am not 100% positive on it but leaning towards Hofner over the other shops.