View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb needs..

Sound Post and Bassbar cracks so a full plaster mold for the Top and all. The Back center seam, cracks, braces.. The Neck is broken in several places including the Scroll and pegbox so it's shot and needs full repairs and a graft. The Varnish is shot. Can be partially restored or re-finished.

Try Jed Kriegel in the Boston area. He will know what to do. Expect to spend $15-20k minimum on fixing this bass properly. It is an Orchestra bass and needs what it needs. Anything less and it will need more if you skimp or cheat the work needed.

I know of only 4 or 5 Luthiers east of The Delaware River I would trust with this or any Bass like this. Call me if you want the names. Jed is closest to you I think. This is a HUGE job and should only be touched by the best workers that can do Museum grade work.

The repair costs might easily exceed its value here. When this bass is done, if it gets done, it will still have all of that damage under the repairs. I know of another French Bass selling for under $20k, not so different from this but fully restored and in excellent health and still, NO one has bought it. Be careful. Generic Factory French basses may look similar to some handmade ones or famous named ones but at the time of sale, the Price differs greatly. Condition matters as well as the quality of the repairs.