View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Could not have said it any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Actually, I don't know why I would use them. Never seen a Violin made with them, have you? Not really a known superior tone wood, is it?

I have seen all these exotic 'furniture' type woods stuck on the tops of Basses and the only thing I can come up with is that they think looks is more important IF you think they look good.

Also, I have seen many of these so called high end Basses with tons of fills in the burls and knots with Epoxy or Acrylic or something similar. Since when did those glues and fillers become tone woods?

One builder working mainly off of TalkBass a few years ago showed how he was building a Bass. The burled top on one of the horns was not long enough so he 'glued' on another piece to make up for it. If we have woods too short or too thin or has a hole or void in the wood, we BURN it, literally.

When making 'your' model of Bass, it is important you have some clue of the tonal results you're looking for so when it's done you know if it's right or not. Trial and error is important at the inset but after you have proven results, why would you continue to 'fish' around with unknowns?

I go with what I know mainly. I do experiment from time to time but not because someone else is doing something that looks wrong to me whether it be a design, component or material. I pretty much know by now what I am looking for in a Bass and 5,400+ hand made Basses to my credit to date tells me I am a leader, not a follower!

Could not have said it better, unless I copied it from Ken's mind!