View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Stefaniak View Post
That seems reasonable for sure. It is a bit of pity to let the bow just sit there unused. It was probably a pretty poor choice of wood on the maker's part that led to it loosing camber over time, if that is what happened.
BTW, how do you like that Fetique? How would you describe the tone, balance, strength, tonal flexibility etc.? I am really in love with the Andre Richaume bow I got last year - a dense, clear tone that leaves of room for the string to sing. Since Richaume apprenticed with his uncle Victor, I would be curious to hear more of your impressions for comparison. Thanks!
On the wood choice, I don't think it's the makers choice of wood all the time. It could be the player not loosening his bow of just tightening it more than that stick likes. On some stiff bows, I have seen players tighten them till almost straight so they can play real hard with downward pressure. As long as the hairs stay off the stick in the FFF passages, it's tight enough. I have learned over the years to pull the bow rather than to only press it down when needing more sound. My softest bow works just fine but doesn't have as strong a spine as some other bows for heavy orchestra playing. It was at one time my main and favorite bow. I grew out of it as my arco got stronger.

The Fetique grabs great and for a bow its size and weight, the best I have seen. Comparing it though to my 2 Bryant bows, the Fetique is a stronger stick than my 136g but my 152, that pulls a bigger sound. Also, it depends a lot on what I am playing and on which bass.

Playing these bows, even new ones like the Lipkins of which I have had several of them, I find them as different from bow to bow as I do bass to bass in feel and sound.