View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Massive Peer pressure? I just gave you the advice based on seeing many French basses that were improved that way. One center brace, one lower and one upper usually and possible depending on the condition of the back and length, 2 upper ones. One at the bend and one at the blocks. The lower and mid/block brace to be shaped like a bassbar. The center is flat maybe 4-5" wide, 1/2" tall and the upper bend brace maybe 2" wide and beveled. Tastefully shaped, not lumber-like 2x4s.

The Center joint may need to be re-jointed and then, a strip placed in there to fill the gap. Also, how is the overhang of the Top on the bottom bouts over the Ribs? Overlaps or more flush like? If Flush, cut the ribs at the block and tuck them in slightly shorter. The lower corner blocks may need trimming under the Ribs as over time, the string pressure pulls the lower block forward bending the back at the bottom under that wide stair-step brace as well as twisting the corner blocks inwards. This is a common fault with old French basses and correction is not easy. The bass needs to be modified. Just like with blockless basses, if made with corner-cutting, money-saving techniques, it needs expensive corrections in restoration.

Just guessing here what you may need.

Now thats interesting info ( the peer pressure is now at boiling point ) ....

When I sit the ribs on the back , the fit is good with approx 3-5mm overlap all round . Surprisingly with all the non original glues , cleats etc the bass seems to have regained its shape to a large extent . I will remove the middle bar and use it for the top repairs , there is a lot of wood to be had from it.
Ken when you talk about cutting the ribs at the 'block' to get a good plate fit are you talking about the end block ?