View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stefaniw View Post
Nobody's talking about these strings over at the TB forum, and I am happy to see that we are over here -- albeit a while ago.

Currently, my setup is: Spiro mitt extended-E, spiro weich A/D, Olive G. The A is a bit weak on my bass, and I'm getting tired of having to muscle the E string around with the bow. The Olive-G is glorious, and the D is "meh-OK". I'd like a bit more growl and power on the E and A, and hopefully be easier to bow.

So I want to try a "poor man's" version of this same setup: Helicore Pizzicato med extended-E and A, with Zyex medium D&G on top.

1. Has anybody tried the extended-E helicore pizzicato string?
  2. Would pizz meds be a good combo with zyex meds?
- Mark
If you want an Orchestra set-up, stay with bowing strings. Having a modern bass, you will get plenty of pizz from most sets. Using a Pizz string will make bowing very difficult and not pleasing to the ear. To MY ear, Helicore orchestra strings ARE Pizz strings than can be bowed. They are not as mellow as Belcantos of Flexocors and even those Pizz well to my ear as I have used them on several OLD English and Italian basses for Jazz gigs as well as Orchestra playing with the exact same set-up.