View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Md7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Lane View Post
How was the 7 string developed? How much did you collaborate with Melvin Davis on his signature model? Is there any difference between BSR7EG and MD Signature model?
The 7 was Melvin's request and we had to use Bubinga for the fingerboards to have something wide enough without cutting up ebony top wood sets.

I personally modified the neck taper jig to cut the wider 7 string neck and keeping it uniform. The body then was a bit like the BMT.

Both Melvin Davis and Al Turner had ordered custom basses around the same time and these body designs later became the BMT and then the BSR.

If not for Melvin's 'strong' request back then, we may have never made a 7-string. On his, we used an old jig for fret slotting and made them with more frets, 28 or 30 maybe? I don't remember. I will have to ask Melvin to count them.

After those two 7s, we didn't make any for awhile. I might have used Morado for a few fingerboards but again, I don't remember. I had asked my ebony fb supplier to cut a quantity of boards to make 7s but in a length for my slotting saw of only 24 frets.

To date, my records show that we made 50 Elite 7-strings. Two of them first for Melvin of his design and the other 48, the current BSR model. There may have been a Black Tiger in there or Fusion cut but the model was basically the same. We still make 7s when ordered and I we just made two of them, one for an order and one for stock.

The difference between the first two were mainly the body wings and number of frets. Also, the pickups were in design at that time which we since have standardized and settled on the flattop design after the first few basses were made. The ones we make now are the best work we have ever produced. But, I have said that for years and years now so what we make now is the best of what we have made if not the same.