View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default rubber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
Good question but you wouldn't be able to just slap on a different frog without altering the camber of the stick, which for a French to German conversion would be fairly drastic (or visa versa). I play both bows and don't use a grip or winding on EITHER...Yes, not even on a French bow. I find that they mute the stick and stop vibrations. Rubber tubing for a French bow is also not the greatest idea as you can develop some poor technique habits.
Really, have you told Hal Robinson about this discovery?

Also, Switching Frogs is no way to use a Bow. The German Bow is longer in general and with a smaller head. This is because of how it's used. The French Bow has a larger head and a shorter stick because that is what works.

A German bow stick with a French Frog will feel pretty horrible in comparison to a real French bow of any quality.

As far as stopping vibrations, when your body touches the bass, you are stopping vibrations. Try playing with thought instead of body, hands and fingers. The notes will ring more freely..

I play with a Bow quiver. Some say it dampens the sound like a Mute. I say it kills unwanted overtones!! Also, I am used to putting my Bow in it for safety and convenience. Rarely in my world does someone have a better Bass on stage than me in the Orchestra with or without a Bow Quiver.

It's all about comfort, Grips, Rubber, Quivers, etc..

If you want a better sound, buy better instruments (and/or Restore the one you have to optimum condition if it's worth it), take more lessons, practice more and GET OFF THE COMPUTER>>>