View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNaeger View Post
That sounds a lot like the ideas presented in Barry Greene's The Inner Game of Music. I haven't finished it yet, but the basis of the book is learning how to overcome your own mental blocks. Basically, it gives you a bunch of strategies to get out of your own way.
Yes! I read that book several times. It was great!
I remembered it as I was writing the above post. I guess that I'm in a moment of finally putting some ideas to the test. I also remember Jerry Coker writing about musical memory in a book he wrote about jazz. I think it was called "Improvising Jazz". He came to NZ in the early eighties.
I'm writing this in a bit of a hurry so my thoughts may come out a bit scrambled but, I'm in a process of trying to discover right now... clearing my head about what I actually hear. I'm one of those people who suffers, at times, from self doubt. I see other musicians who never seem to get phased... maybe they just put up a good front? I think that confidence about what one is actually hearing would go a long way towards improving performance. My thinking is that I'm putting clouds in front of what I already hear... yes, sounds like Barry Greene's ideas that he got from 'The Inner Game of Tennis."