Thread: Old Bass ID
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Linz View Post
Hey everyone. A friend of mine had this bass restored slowly over the past couple of months. It got the top off, new linen inside as well as cracks and seams reset where possible. Old cracks washed and reset. We had to go with a new neck and scroll as the other one had too many problems. Cleaned everything up and I think it got a new endpin and tailpiece as well. Man does it sound like a monster now and it hasn't even come close to finishing settling. The owner is Mike Lewis who plays bass for Andrew Bird and Bon Iver. The bass got restored for under $4000 and I think will be ready for a C extension soon. Please, if you find an older instrument worth saving, save it. The process is both fun and unique and you can learn a lot if your luthier will let you hang in the shop. Usually this involves some lunch and some beer! Scott Jensen of Minneapolis did the restoration. Scott is a player and full time bass repairman. We are very lucky to have him here as he has helped a lot of bassist get the best out of their instruments. I will post photos as soon as I can get Mike off of a tour bus to take some. Hope everyone is well and practicing hard. Best, Adam Linz
$4000 to restore that? Must have worked for minimum wage. The neck work alone on my Blockless is more than that. Also, the original scroll should have been restored and grafted to a new neck. A new scroll takes value and mojo away. Many many old basses have repaired scroll and pegboxs. But, what's done is done.