View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pope View Post
Can't afford to get to the east coast from the mid west right now. Thanks for the invitation. One of these days I will take you up on that.
Ok, I played the Hart last night and it gave out much more sound than ever before. My newly acquired old Lionhead (Bohemian/German?) is another bass I need to break in and evaluatenow as well

I the case of the Lionhead, it came to me already restored in Europe shortly before its arrival. Some of the things done inside are not exactly the way I would have had them done here but I was assured it's well restored. I am also considering a C-extension for that bass if I decide to keep it for personal use. I have used it on a few rehearsals but never in concert.

One way to see if all is done well inside is to just put it thru the test. Use it and see what happens. I just finished dressing the fingerboard to correct some buzzing on the G-string that only happens in pizz, not arco. That means the high spots are minor. Now, the bass plays just fine without any buzz with my set-up and playing style. I have off from this rehearsal schedule for two days but I have another orchestra rehearsal tomorrow, different program. On the concert for this weekend though, I have need for the c-extension but it is not a must. I can tune down to Eb on one of the pieces and play the only Db in the piece up the octave while my partner plays the lower note on his bass with a German mechanical Horst extension. There are a few Eb's in another piece that I can play up and maybe one low C so the conductor said it would be ok to split the octaves in those few spots. There are some other spots that are already divided and I am playing the upper part being the first chair and him with a couple of extension notes so playing a few more notes up would fit in just fine.

So, now that I know the Hart is fine and ready for anything or anyone, I need to better evaluate this old Lion and see if it's been 'tamed' or not with that last restoration. The only way to know is to play it and see if anything breaks. I still need to get some set-up things changed including bridge, post, tailwire and maybe a few other things so until then, the bass is playable to test. If I like the sound now and after the set-up, then an extension is on the menu, Lion and all!

I LIKE how this bass sounds, feels and plays. It slightly reminds me of the Storioni I recently let go. More of a 'butterball' sound as one luthier referred to about the Storioni's sound as compared to a Gagliano and Guadagnini we compared it to a few years ago. My kind of sound!