View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 42"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Charniga View Post
Melissa,

Not to clash with our host, but should you decide to abandon the baby Kay I have a lead for you if you're willing to buy blind through the mail.

A luthier I know in Massachusetts named Mark Leue told me recently he lucked into a few unusual, small Shen basses he was selling for $1100. This batch was mistakenly made with a small 5/8 body and a 42" 3/4 neck. That could be the best of both worlds -- enough string length to get a good sound mated to a manageable body.

These basses have solid wood tops and sides so they would require more care than a battle-axe Kay. Just a thought.

SC
Personally, I think a 42" string length would be a challenge for her to play. Playing in the lower positions, a 42" bass takes some stretch to play in tune. I have played some basses of mine that are 41 1/4 and down to 40 1/2" and those are quite a bit easier to play. On the other hand, I think for her use and height, the 1/2 size Kay would be easier and more fun to play. If this Shen was under a 41" length, I would say it's a possibility. I think a 1/2 Kay is probably between 37-39" length but I am not sure.