View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Washburn View Post
Ken,
Thank you for the input after looking at the pictures. Did you mean fix or restore? I am thinking you meant to just fix the instrument. I just measured the string length and it is 34.5". When you guys are referring to the size of the bass and what would be good for me are you just referring to the body? It is 62" from top to bottom. I think we are going to make the repairs on it. And see how she does. I would love to restore. A big piece of laminate broke off the other night moving it. We'll see. I do appreciate your help. I may have to come by your shop someday when I am on a layover or a road trip to the NE to see my family...I drive right up I-78 to get home. Thank you!
Ok, you have something like a 1/4 sized bass. Jerry Fretwell might be able to help you or the other name mentioned. Fix or restore to some mean the same. Keeping it mostly originally is to restore. That includes fixing it as well. For a plywood bass, you have a fraction of the work and expense of a carved bass. Restoring old basses, non-plywood can cost as much as a car. I have been there so I know. Contact Jerry. This bass you have is a similar scale in playing to a bass guitar. Enjoy it.