View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mendelson View Post
I need some thoughts on strings...

Long story short, My upright has had the same strings on it for,,,, ohhh... say about 9 years! I havent really played the thing unfortunately much at all the last 5 years, just getting back into playing it again...

I have a low C extension (not the mechanical type)...

99% jazz finger pizz playing... so dont really need an easy arco string...

Whats the string to get these days?

I think I have spirocore vikes on them now... something like that...

And while we are on the subject... a good pickup... I used to use the Fishman (clipped on to the bridge between DG and EA strings), dont know where all the parts are...

I think the other pickup to get was the underwood?

Whats out there these days?
What kind of Bass is this? What does it sound like now with 9 year old strings? I would have you find the strings first that work for you on that bass and then, worry about a pickup and amp. Can't easily amplify what's not there.

I use the Shadow pickup, 2 tabs like the Underwood. Works fine on all of my basses. Use the strings you are used to if they work for you. A new set will do wonders. The 'Weichs' are lower tension that Superflexible or Spirocore. Solo SFs might be softer even in tension but not the same sound. I play mainly Pirastros for Bowing but have other sets on some of my Basses as well. Describe your bass and the sound you need. You will get plenty of suggestions. Not all will be suitable.