View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up learning more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
Yeah, I think I still need time learning more repertoire. I think I'll have a better perspective in a few years.
For me, actual learning is doing. I have played various excerpts over the years but until I finally played them with the Orchestra, I really couldn't actually feel them.

Just keep playing as much as you can and the learning will never stop.

Tomorrow I have a one-shot Gig with a band Pop thing in-concert. "Pops goes the Classics' with Pianist Mac Frampton. We do a sound check rehearsal and then the concert. I have the music from a PDF they sent me a few days ago. I will use my German Neuner Bass with pickup and Amp as well as a Smith Burner BSRB Deluxe for a few tunes.

Monday thru Friday I will do the Show 'Fame' on electric bass (the Burner again) and on Sunday, the day before I will go thru the music with a CD the sent me. I already read thru about half of it but for the tempos I need the CD.

On Good Friday the week after I will do Handle's Messiah with a Chamber group. I have a copy on my excerpt disc but they are not doing all of it so until I get the music in the mail, I wont know exactly what they are playing. I already played thru the 2nd and 3rd part reading it off my monitor. We will have one rehearsal the night before and then a Friday 'day' service at one Church about 50 miles away with just a quintet due to budget and then an evening performance a bit closer to home at a different Church with the full Chamber orchestra, however big that is. I wont know till the first rehearsal the size of the group.

I also have a Pops/Orchestra concert in May which I will do with 3 spread out rehearsals prior. The basses alternate weekly rehearsals due to budget.

With all of this music I have to do within the various jobs it comes down to mostly reading and some memorizing what to play and how on the bass as it zooms by before my eyes and under my fingers. Mistakes can happen but the show must go on.

This is a busy month for me but I take what comes just to have some variety in my late musical life. It's fun and it's a challenge.