View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb and?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cox View Post
Is anyone familiar with this maker or his Basses ?
The only thing I can find on him is from the Contrabass Shoppe website in the "Quality Basses " section.
Apparently he made Basses in Germany circa 1840 or so.

Any information would be appreciated.

thanks.
Don
Why are you asking? It is just a commercial style Germanic Bass. Do you think it's worth $35-36k?

We see basses like this all the time with no names in them selling from $6-12k. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Anything German for over $20-25K is a push and better be an awesome sounding 'OLD' Bass in healthy condition with the highest level professional repairs.

On this maker, I found 16 Herold's in Germany working in the 19th and 20th centuries. 'Henley' does not list a date. 'Elgar' says 19th century. 'Jalovec' says 20th century maker of Basses for 'Reinhold'. Several members of the family are listed as Bass or Bass and Cello makers. That Bass does look more modern than old to me so early 20th century would be my guess. Not everything listed in Elgar is correct. The Jalovec is a huge book by volume and I have the 'German $ Austrian Makers' as well as the 2-set Encyclopedia. The Elgar book is more of a hobby handbook in comparison to the bigger violin books used by professional dealers. If the data quoted by Elgar is not confirmed by the bigger volumes or contradicted then it is reasonable to doubt his claims. Two of the Labels pictured by this family do not have dates, just the name. Maybe the date was just an erroneous guess by Elgar or he listed the wrong member of the family. Now that a shop has one with his name in it, they pick the least reliable source of loosely written information to make their listing! A quick look at the more reliable Jalovec volumes would paint a more accurate picture.

Looks like a shop-style produced Bass to my eye.