View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok, Back on Topic..

I put a new set of the medium/blue Jargars on my Uebel the other night and I think this is the best this bass has sounded with the Bow. I even tuned it down to Eb and then Db to see if I can take it to a concert next week. We will have 8 basses in the section and I wont know till next rehearsal in a few days how tight the stage will be. My Hart (with Jargars) which I used in the Orchestra last week (my first time playing with them) is only an inch wider overall. To avoid getting the Hart bumped, I might just bring the Uebel and tune down and back up as I need. Wont be the first time I've done that but since having a C-extension on most or my basses I rarely use a bass without one in Orchestra.

I actually like how the low notes sound tuned down on the Uebel. The thicker E works great for this but the Uebel is a D-neck and the Hart is an Eb which for me works better for the way I play and cross strings on the D and A strings on some passages. I can reach the upper notes on the G better as well and the Heel is the smallest of all my basses so works best for the transition to the upper notes as well.

Today I have another rehearsal, different Orchestra (playing in 3 of them now) and we are doing Beethoven 7. I looked at some of the music and see I need the extension for this as well. Later I have to play Beeth. 2nd in my main orch. and then the 9th in the new orch. I just started in. It seems I can't get away from the C-extension but if I did, the Uebel tuned down would sound as good as most basses with Extensions I think with these Jargars.

With all that music to work on, I still have to work in the shop till at least 5pm daily as a minimum.