View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 03:23 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ahh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Tonight I put a set of Jargar Dolce/green silked strings that I got last year but haven't had the need to try them. I took off the Kaplans from the Hart and replaced them one string at a time. Each string going on felt like the bass was moving closer to the sound I like most. These are lighter in gauge than the medium/blue Jargar set but do not feel or sound thin like other solo sets do. I will have the Summer to play on them and decide if they stay on for the season starting in the fall.
Tonight I pulled out that Dolce set of Jargars and put them on my Panormo school bass just a few hours after putting on the new Flex Dlx set which were just too bright for my ears on that bass.

The Jargars have that darker smooth sound that bow like butter. They are just a bot softer in volume but the other qualities make up for that. This is the 3rd time (that I remember!) putting this same set on a bass. I have a concert coming up in a few weeks and I need a bass with a C-extension and I have to play into the upper register for a few notes on one of the pieces in spots. My Hart would be ideal but it's in the shop getting some work done so I have to pick another bass.

This next concert is only 2 basses and we have to be smooth together on those upper notes. I feel the Jargars are my best bet with the Panormo school bass. It's big, but it's playable. I will know after the first rehearsal if I need to change basses. I miss the Hart but I can play 'Papa Bear', our nick name for the 4/4 Panormo school bass.