View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitla View Post
I may be touring in the US later in the year. My favourite bow has an ivory frog. The maker can't give me anything more than "it's from my family's old stock" as a statement of its origin. I have another bow with a nice ebony frog that fits the stick of the first one, so I have two questions:
1) Has anyone had problems traveling internationally with bows with ivory parts?
2) Is it sacrilegious to swap frogs from one bow to another?

Any input would be welcome.
D.
I heard 2nd hand a horror story of a customs officer taking a hammer to smash a frog that was not legal. I don't know if it is true.

I had 2 bows 'returned' to me, made in NY, USA by Sue Lipkins from Canada to PA, USA. 'US Fish and Wildlife' officials demanded I get a Permit to get my own personal bows back because of the pearl Slide and 2 dots. The first agent disregarded my loan document and origin because they called it an illegal import of pearl and I gave the player a document for the return to avoid this problem. The supervisor at 'Fish & Wildlife' finally gave in and returned the bows to me.

With Ivory, if you can't get a document for exemption due to it's age, it might be a huge mistake. Changing the Frog for a tour is ok as long as you put it back later. Make sure the other one fits and doesn't damage the stick or screw. If the maker is alive, call him!