View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Jargar to Passione?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitla View Post
Have you had a chance to compare Jargar to Passione? From the sound of it, they both have a beautiful sound, but slightly less volume/power than other strings. On my bass I really loved the sound of Passiones, but Bel Cantos sound almost as nice (but different) with much better projection. Your description of the Jargars makes me curious, but then again trying strings is such a can of worms...
On the Jargar to Passione question, I haven't done and special tests between them but I do feel they are different. The Jargars come in 3 gauges and in each gauge, the E string seems too big to me. Also, they are not that fat apart in size either between the 3 sets.

This is what the emailed me back when I inquired about the gauges from the heaviest to lightest;

G – 1,33 – 1,31 – 1,26
D - 1,64 – 1,64 – 1,60
A – 2,03 – 2,02 – 1,98
E - 2,80 - 2,79 – 2,76
Ext.2,96 – 2,95 – 2,85

Above #s are in millimeters I believe. For inches, divide by 2.54. Rounded to 3 digits;

G- .052" - .051" - .049"
D- .064" - .064" - .063"
A- .080" - .079" - .078"
E- .110" - .109" - .108"

XE-.117" - .116" - .112"

For me, I prefer my Es much thinner than listed above and they always feel heavy to me within each set. I might try to make a set with the Forte/heavy 3-strings and the Dolce/light E and see how that works but honestly, I have used them very little outside of here in the office so I am not totally sure.

The Passiones are better balanced but I feel the E is light on that set rather then heavy. I have tried the regular set with the Stark E if I felt the need to have the E stronger on that particular bass.

Right now if I had to run out and do a gig and I had to choose only between Jargars and Passiones, I would go with the Passiones and either use the Stark E or the Stark set unless the bass was tight and then the regular set.

For tone, the Jargars are sweeter I think regardless. Just not balanced for me as well and softer sound matching its softer feel.

It is a tough choice.