Thread: NZ Bass Camp.
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Yeabsley View Post
How was the camp Richard?

I missed it- hopefully it's on again next year.

Did you play your new bass?
Bass camp was great! It's on every two years - you must come in 2012!
I met your brother yesterday in Alistar's Music. He was looking at a bass that had evidently been played in the symphony for fifteen years. They asked me to play it. The strings were old, it didn't have a big sound and wasn't fun to play. Supposedly it was a real bargain, but I'd rather be playing my 500 series Christopher. He's got another one (ex symphony) coming - should be interesting.

Back to bass camp...
Most people were provincial orchestra players or young classical students . Some of the young players played very well. The tutors were from the NZSO and Nick Tipping was there from NZSM Jazz School. The star was Hiroshi, who is the principal of the NZSO and an internationally renouned soloist. The activities were divided between playing orchestral excerts, playing ensemble music, master classes and beginner jazz classes. It was a great weekend and there was a lot to learn from watching Hiroshi and others. We did a concert to end the camp and I got to play with Hiroshi - you don't get to do that every day in Wainuiomata!

Hey, we must get together soon - your brother told me about a bass you got from Arnold, I'd love to hear it.