View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter Grass View Post
true that, ken. i recognize having adoptation problems changing from one bass to another, especially if they have big differences in string length. one has 104cm and the other has about 109cm. and not only that makes a difference; even the curve of the fingerboard and also the balance and feel of the shape of the bass. and every bass needs strings which are sounding best. that means that you have to play different strings changing basses, also. but only if you found your perfect bass, you donĀ“t have to cheat on others anymore, right?
Talking in CMs, my Hart is about 106 and my old Lion is about 107. In minutes, I get used to what is in my hand. I just got in a new (old) Prague bass and it has a fun type sound with both the Bow (for classical) and Pizz (for Jazz). The Prager is currently just about 103cm. So in inches I have basses at about 40.5, 41.75 and 42", give or take depending on the tilt of the bridge or string height.

On the Hart, I currently have a mixed set or Flexocors, Orig's with a Stark 92 E/C. The old Lion has Belcantos and the Prager, Evah weichs. Three different basses, different shapes, sizes, backs and necks as well as completely different strings for each. One thing in common, the player. I practice on the bass I am going to use, get used to it and then pack the car. Sometimes I change the last minute or between rehearsals and concert. No one ever complains about my sound or playing and that is just an example of 3 of the basses. So, you have to be flexible and listen to your fingers and adjust as need be. One thing for sure is that you must be comfortable with the bass or get comfortable enough to play it. A few weeks ago I used the Mougenot on a concert but played the Marconcini the night before and one or two other basses at rehearsals for the program. Night and day with length, size and sound. No complaints! Only your playing counts at that point if the instrument is good. It matters more to the player than the listen in my opinion.