View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake de Villiers View Post
I know - I thought Germanic at first too but there's something...

That swell back looks positively violin-like to me, not the smooth, large-radius arc I'm used to seeing on basses. And there's the haughty scowl of the ffs and the gears and the linings. Did you check out the bigger photos?

I'll have a chance to look inside, check it with UV etc when I get the bass on my bench in late July - until then, the pix are all we have.
The Gears are 100% German. I have them on my Storioni, replaced ofcourse as I have 4 of them on a 3-string Bass! I have seen these Gears on many basses. Usually German Basses.

Violin Like? The Germans didn't make Violins? Not every German Bass is a factory cheapo. Some are quite nice. I also suspect this bass was overvarnished at least partially from what I see. Yes, I looked at the bigger pictures. I see a hint of the Linings on one Pic and they don't look overly big or thick like on many French basses but anything is possible. The FFs don't look anything special to me at all as far as French or German go, just nicely cut FFs.

By the way, I have seen this exact bass before. The string length is 43", correct? I think the previous seller/dealer would have charged a bit more if he thought it was French but he believed it was Germanic as well.

It's a very nice bass regardless..