View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

On your question for a more compatible string than the Flexocor lets look at a few points mentioned.

>>> Your bass is a fairly new modern bass and is life times away from being mellowed like an old Italian, that is a fact.

>>> The Flexocors sound rough and/or bright with some fast orchestra passages, correct?

I have experienced all of this so I know exactly how you feel, I think.

This thread above was done many years ago and since then, new strings have come out. On the Ogligato's and Evah's, you will encounter other problems in Orchestra bowing, different than the Flexocor so don't go that route.

I suggest the NEW Passione strings, new formula for your modern bass that will tame your roughness away. Get the regular gauge if you want them to be similar thickness to the the Flex.92s or, for a little more meat to dig into, I suggest the Stark gauge which I consider to be Medium gauge feel and the regular ones to be a light/weich gauge. Regular Flex.92s are lighter than most other orchestra strings as well.

New model Passione Starks. They play as good a Flexocors and smoother then Belcantos.

Every bass has its 'sweet spot' string wise. You just have to find yours and save from buying everything out there in the process.