View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

There was a real epoxy craze, at least in my high-end residential, non-luthiery woodworking world, starting about 20 years ago. Folks discovered it and started using it for EVERYTHING. Happily, the fad has faded a bit in the past 10 years, or so.

I have seen more than a few ill-conceived epoxy ventures. Sam, this certainly sounds like one of them.

There are hundreds of varieties of epoxy and folks sometimes use specific epoxies for purposes for which they are not intended, or appropriate. Troubles start there...

For example, in my trade, West System came into vogue and everyone got the idea to use it in exterior work. But straight West System's viscosity is ill-suited to joinery; it was designed as a clear boat finish, actually. When a person reads the manufacturer's recommendations, West should ideally be used with a thickening agent, on abraded joints (as in roughed up with 100 grit sand paper). I have seen several well-intended epoxy joints fail because folks used low-viscosity, brittle epoxies, with no fillers, with high pressure clamping, creating glue-starved joints. Things that were carefully fit and glued just sort of fall apart, because the adhesives properties weren't well understood.

Sam, its great that the folks at Upton were able to take the curse off of your bass! Do you still have it, or has it gone on in this world?

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 08-25-2010 at 09:52 AM.