View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Germans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Ken, weren't many of the workmen in the English shops German?
Well other than maybe Fendt and Lott I can't think of any other German names and they came from the Tirol I believe. Fendt trained in Paris actually so was more of a French/English maker working for Dodd. Lott was trained by Fendt in the Dodd shop so neither of them actually ever made instruments in Germany.

Actually, did you know that the English School of making came from the Tirol as well? His name was Jacob Rayman and came to London around 1620 and worked till about 1650. He is the first Violin maker or note in the London school.

There were other from Germany and The Tirol I guess between him and Fendt time wise but will have to look them up to see where they actually came from.

John Lott I is not from Germany, his father was! While reading in the book 'The British Violin' (1998) I have found new information that John Lott, a Chair maker (maybe?) from Gottingen, Germany married Ann Waring at St. Georges (London) in 1775. This is actually the Father of J.F.Lott I (Violin/Bass maker) who was born on April 26, 1776 and christened on June 16th in London. J.F. Lott I is actually of British birth and not from Germany as previously believed! The father was born about 1755 and maybe in Germany as the records are not totally clear. One thing that is clear, there are actually 3 generations of John Lotts, not two! Only two of them were makers though.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 07-10-2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correction!