View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool correcting the bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Stefaniak View Post
I read this thread with great interest since I've been basically scouring the internet for information on bows. I stumbled across Charles Espey's Blog and read every post about bow making he wrote. This post about the relationship between bow camber and the overall concept for the bow warns against corrections that depart from the maker's intentions. A very interesting variance of opinions must be held by many people. When I called Susan Lipkins to put my name on her list, I mentioned one bow of mine(an overly flexible/weak Steven Reilly bow). She suggested that she could make adjustments to the camber and improve the bow. I don't doubt that she could greatly improve this stick's performance - she can. It may just be better to get a new bow (which I already have) then bother with correcting a bow I have begun to outgrow anyway. I haven't decided whether I will go down the road of correcting the bow or simply sell it as is and buy another.
If a bow or stick rather is weak or soft, then you may not know the makers intention if the stick changed over time from being weak under hair tension. Correcting a bow camber is like pressing out a sunken top of a bass. You do what you need to to make the bass more playable and as healthy as possible. The same goes with bows. The best makers cannot correct a weak stick. Rather only care for it over time.

As I mention about my old Bazin (now in a new happy home), I have another similar bow by Fetique that has a bit more side camber than I would prefer. I was about to re-camber it but in flexing the stick I realized how stiff it was. Concluding that this is mainly settlement of the old wood and would be dangerous to try and change it. Then, I took the bow out a few times, tried it as-is and decided it was fine the way it was.

If a bow feels less than playable without re-cambering, I think it's worth the effort to try something to make it work again than leave it aside unused. We are way past the makers intentions at this point. The bow was made to be played.