View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pope View Post
So, how did the gig go?
It went great. After the Thursday rehearsal the conductor sent me a link for yet another bass part (and cello) to print out for the Berlioz piece. So, one rehearsal and the hit. I read thru the score at the Thurs. rehearsal and I played a tiny bit in the 1st movement, tacit the 2nd and most of the 3rd. Talk about counting rests, lol.

I told the conductor this should be added to the audition list, "how to count and stay still for 20 minutes!"

Hey, they did Mars and Jupiter from the Planets, THAT I have played b4 but this was an arrangement without strings. These parts I would have loved to play but, most of what I did play was quite a challenge. Solo Bass with Brass and woodwinds, no where to hide. I used my Uebel bass (w/Jargar strings, blues) and that thing is LOUD and carried better than the Hart and Neuner. Go figure. maybe it's the design, shorter string length and/or restoration work. For now, if I don't need a low C-extension, I will play the Uebel for orchestra gigs. I might even put an extension on it as well in the near future.

Thanks for asking Scott.